Use of Chromebox and Chromebit
The Chrome-devices that give new life to old screens
Do you have an old screen or tv that is not being used? You can use it as a public screen! Or do you have an old public screen that needs to be renewed? Chromebox and Chromebit are good solutions to prolong the life of old screens. It is both cheap and environmentally friendly!
Choose between Chromebox and Chromebit
Is it mainly news, text and information you want to display, or do you want to display many images and YouTube-videos? Chromebit is small and cheap, but it has a somewhat smaller capacity than Chromebox, - other than that their uses are quite similar. If you plan to use YouTube-posts on the screen, we recommend Chromebox for a more stabile display.
Automatic start and daily restart with PinToMind Player
Installation of PinToMind Player allows Chrome-devices to automatically start display of the PinToMind public screen when they are turned on, and gives them a daily restart.
The alternative is to manually log in and open the browser in fullscreen each time the chrome device is started.
To use the PinToMind Player with automatic start and daily restart, the chrome device must have a license from Google and must be a part of a so called Chrome device management.
We have set up a system for purchase of licenses from Google, so that you don't have to do this. We manage purchase of licenses and charge in the same way as for a subscription. The price per device is 24 EURO per year. The subscription keeps running, until you end the license. Paid amounts will not be paid back even if the license ends.
You can also manage chrome devices and licenses yourself - see information further down on this page.
Install Chromebox or Chromebit
This guide is for you who use Chromebox or Chromebit and want automatic start and daily restart of the device, and want to use our system for licenses from Google.
Follow the points below, and you will get going within minutes!
- Unpack and connect the chrome device to the HDMI-entrance of the screen.
- Connect mouse and keyboard to the chrome device.
- If the chrome device has been logged on to earlier, it must be reset to factory settings before you continue. See guide to reset chrome devices on Googles webpages.
- Select language, keyboard and wireless network. Important! Do not log in!
- Click CTRL + ALT + E and go to the side to subscribe the device in our Chrome device management.
You have to log in and order license to get the information for the next points. The order is only for paying customers, not for free trials.
- Log in with the username and password that you are given at the logged in page.
- Enter Asset Identifier and Device position - see information in the list of ordered licenses on the logged in page. Important! You have to fill this in, even if it says "optional" on the screen. Each chrome license must be used only for one device.
- PinToMind Player starts. Enter screencode - same code as Device position in the former point.
Thats it! PinToMind Player is now installed, and the screen is ready to be used. Feel free to test by turning if off and on, to see that it starts automatically like it should.
If you later want to end this, you click "End license" in the list of licenses that are bought. We will then end the license and unsubscribe the device from our Chrome device management. The device will after restart stop the display of the public screen, and you can delete the content on the device to use if for other purposes. Paid amounts will not be paid back even if the license ends.
Shortcuts in PinToMind Player
When the display has started, you can use these shortcuts:
- CTRL + SHIFT + 5 reloads the content of the display
- CTRL + SHIFT + 7 to register a new screencode for the display
- CTRL + SHIFT + 9 restarts the chrome device
If you want to: Use your own Chrome device management
Chrome device management is a web-based tool from Google to manage and watch over chrome devices. On Googles webpages, you´ll find guide and more information about Chrome device management.
If you already have, or want to set up, an own Chrome device management to use on public screens, that is fully possible. If so, you can set up rules for the chrome devices, and install PinToMind Player via the admin pages. Prices and more information about purchase of licenses, you get from one of Googles resellers of licenses.